Thursday, February 25, 2016

What I Love and Hate in a Blog

I'm sometimes guilty of following too many blogs, and thus not being able to keep up with them all. So many blogs are just that good. There are also so many blogs that turn me off. I might get a little hate for this, and some are super picky things, but here are a few things people do when blogging that turns me off of their blog:


  • Subscribe Pop-Up. If there's a pop-up as soon as I click on your blog it's a huge turn-off. I like to get to read a bit before you're bugging me to subscribe.
  • Captcha. They're getting harder to decipher, and after the third attempt in a row I'm tempted to unfollow. 
  • Too many giveaways and reviews. I'd rather read a real blog about a real person, and not a bunch of products. Do it in moderation and I have no problem with it. Same goes if you're only ever doing linkups. 
  • Too-Long paragraphs. Break it up. If it's too long, I start skimming, then I might lose sight of what the post is really about. Then I have nothing to comment. And I click away and go on with my day. 
  • Too much happiness. If you're super happy, good for you. But if you're blog is nothing but sunshine and rainbows and you never write about one negative or bad thing that happens, then it just feels like you're a lie. I mean, sometimes your car breaks down or your kid gets sick. Complain, dammit. 
  • Music. If music starts up as soon as I open your page, I'm out. 


While I'm sure I could go on, I'd also like to dive a little bit into things I absolutely love in a blog:
  • Realness. If you write about real life - the good and the bad, I'll love you for it. 
  • Humor. If you can make me laugh, I'll never leave you. Even if you don't constantly make me laugh, as long as I can tell you have a great sense of humor, I'll still never leave you.
  • Nice photos. Of cute babies and stuff. And a photo of you somewhere. If I can't find a photo of you, how can I be sure you exist?
  • Blog design. If you're blog is super tidy and organized and pretty to look at, I'll look longer. No fancy blog design required. 
  • Variety. If you're blog is full of random stuff, I tend to enjoy it more. Even though blogging these days seems to be all aimed towards consistency and niches. 
  • Acknowledging the little people. If you take the time to respond to comments or tweets or Instagram comments of big or moderate bloggers, that's good. But if you also take the time to respond to the little people who aren't blog famous or on their way to it, you're amazing. Some people only socialize online with people who can further their blog or business and I hate that. (PS, I don't mean every single comment. Obviously not everyone has time for that.)

What are some of your favorite or most hated things when it comes to other people's blogs?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your 'turns you off' list. I was laughing at the music one...i HATE that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...